Located just outside of historic Beaufort and bounded by the Morgan River and Jenkins Creek, Dataw Island offers superlative golf, a wide range of watersports, excellent club facilities and gracious homes.
Residents enjoy it all in the casual lifestyle and abundant, natural beauty found only in the Lowcountry of South Carolina.
Dataw Island: Made for Golf
This serene island seems made for Lowcountry golf. And Cotton Dike, the first golf course created here, had the perfect designer for the job, Tom Fazio. An experienced waterfront designer, Fazio took particular advantage of an unusual landscape.
The Cotton Dike course emerged from the coastal the marshes via dikes.
He coaxed the course out of the Carolina marshes by a series of dikes. The dikes were originally intended to create more land for cotton fields during the great plantation days of Dataw Island. Now they are there for great golf holes. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Waterviews & More
Almost half of Cotton Dike’s 18 holes lie along the marsh and Jenkins Creek. In 2011 Cotton Dike underwent a multi-million dollar rebuild and re-grassing of its greens and reopened to much fanfare.
Morgan River, designed by Arthur Hills, is narrower than Cotton Dike and demands greater accuracy. The beauty of the course is dramatic with breaks in stands of massive oaks creating frames for waterviews of the Morgan River and the savannahs beyond.
Morgan River also enjoyed a major upgrade which was completed in 2012. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Real Estate Options
Dataw Island has long been known for its thoughtful master plan which is sensitive to the environmental concerns of the island while creating well-designed homesites with great orientation.
Dataw Island offers single-family homes with marvelous views of the marsh, the riverfront or the fairways of either Cotton Dike or Morgan River golf course. Homes are priced from the $200,000s to $1 million+.
Inside, many homes offer custom cabinetry, granite and other top notch amenities. For details and pricing, see the real estate section below. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
- Real estate from $10,000
- Townhomes from the $180,000s
- Homes from the $200,000s to $1,000,000+
- Enjoy lake, marsh, lagoon, golf and fairway views
- Morgan River and Cotton Dike course views
- Custom interiors, granite and other options available in many homes
- Resales available
- Homesites from $10,000
- Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Dataw Island’s expanded Clubhouse is designed to serve as the heart of this warm, friendly and active community. Its sweeping staircases and tall windows recall the best traditions of the Lowcountry and its relaxed style of living.
Fitness fanatics take note: the Community/Fitness Center includes an Aerobic/Exercise Studio with a specially designed floor that cushions even high impact activity, making workouts easier on the knees, ankles and other joints. Dataw offers regular aerobics classes and its expanded studio provides a wider range of class times and activities. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
The Community/Fitness Center also offers space to exhibit arts and crafts and multi-purpose activity rooms designed to hold small meetings, card parties, or craft and hobby groups such as quilting, needlework, book and investment clubs and flower arrangers.
- Cotton Dike, 18-holes championship golf course designed by Tom Fazio
- Morgan River, 18-hole championship golf course designed by Arthur Hills
- Community Center/Fitness Center
- Year-round, heated, covered pool
- Lap and recreational swimming, water aerobics, physical therapy exercise, water sports
- Treadmills, stairclimbers, free weights, weight machines
- Expanded 25,000-sq.-ft. clubhouse
- 8 Har-Tru tennis courts
- Four newly constructed pickleball courts
- 2 championship-caliber lawn croquet courts
- Outdoor pool
- Wide range of watersports
- Dataw Marina managed by Marine Tech Services
- Full-service boatyard
- Wet slips, dry storage
- Transient dockage
- Fuel, air-conditioned showers and laundry
- Marine surveyor, on-call diver
- Storm haul-out
- Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Consistently placing high in the published ranking lists of preferred communities, Beaufort and Dataw Island have been named among the top choices in the nation for retirement living for many years.
With average yearly temperatures of 65 degrees and 230 days of sunshine, Dataw offers a superb location in which to enjoy four distinct seasons and the benefits of country club living year round.
An Ideal Place
Fortune magazine, New Choices magazine, a Reader’s Digest publication, and Where to Retire magazine have all singled out Dataw Island and the surrounding Beaufort area as ideal places to purchase a vacation home or eventually retire to. Where to Retire named Beaufort one of its eight “Great Low Tax Towns.” Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Dataw Island is located six miles east of Beaufort, SC, just off the Sea Island Parkway (Route 21). It is 39 miles north of Hilton Head Island, SC, 52 miles north of Savannah, GA, and 75 miles south of Charleston, SC.
You can easily reach Dataw Island by air, flying into Savannah, GA, which is one hour south of Dataw or into Charleston, SC, which is 1.5 hours north of Dataw Island. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
Awards & Honors
- Awarded the Bliss Award (members’ happieness), “Best South Carolina Community,” by Real Estate Scorecard
- Dataw Tennis Center named a top four “Best Tennis Facility in the U.S,” by the USTA
- Recognized for “Best Island Community,” “Best Kayaking,” “Best Community Gardens,” “Best Health and Wellness,” “Stellar Water Views,” by ideal-LIVING
- Named “Best Community/Neighborhood,” “Best Golf Course,” “Best Golf Instruction,” “Best Tennis Facilities and Instruction,” and “Best Wedding Location,” by Beaufort Gazette Reader’s Choice Poll
- Named a “Top Retirement Community,” by TopRetirementCommunities
- Host to Carolinas PGA “South Carolina Open,” the SPGA “Senior Amateur,” the South Carolina “Junior Amateur,” and the “TaylorMade/Adidas Intercollegiate”
- Host, USTA event “Dataw Splash”
- Send me more information about Dataw Island!
CITY OF BEAUFORT, SC
- “Most Romantic Town in America,” CBS News
- “America’s Number One Happiest Seaside Towns,” Coastal Living
- “Top 20 Fishing Town,” Field & Stream
- “Top 100 Best Art Towns in America,” Author John Villani
- “Best Small Southern Town,” Southern Living
- “Top 50 Adventure Town,” National Geographic Adventure
- “Top 52 Places to Visit This Year” New York Times Travel
- “Top 25 Small City Arts Destinations” American Style Magazine
- “Top 25 Places to Retire” CNNmoney
- “Most Adorable Small Town” MSN Lifestyle
Experience life as it’s meant to be lived. Whether it’s a sunset over the golf course, a superb meal with friends at the clubhouse or a vigorous workout with a personal trainer, it will be memorable at Dataw.
Or, it could be relaxing by the resort style pool or hitting the perfect cross-court forehand at the tennis center. There’s a special distinction to life on Dataw Island–it’s called the Dataw Difference.
To truly appreciate Dataw Island, you’re invited to visit using the Experience Dataw package. Already staying locally? Inquire how you can Experience Dataw. Send me more information about this Experience Dataw Discovery Package!
Experience Dataw Discovery Package
When you choose to Experience Dataw, you will enjoy a discovery tour package that includes:
- Play golf on two championship golf courses (designed by Tom Fazio & Arthur Hills)
- Play tennis on Har-Tru courts
- Play pickleball at Dataw’s brand-new facility
- Complimentary meal in the clubhouse ($75 gift certificate)
- Full access to the Community Center, featuring a gym, yoga studio, art studio& indoor lap pool
- Tour the island by golf cart or on 5 miles of walking trails (two days of cart rental included)
- An introduction to a Member Ambassador
- Meet w/ a local real estate associate to learn about the community & tour available homes
- Please inquire for current rates and availability
- Send me more information about this Experience Dataw Discovery Package!
Please let inform the community ahead of time if you will be bringing a dog or will need an extra room.
Dataw Island’s friendly, neighborly atmosphere can only be truly appreciated with an in-person visit, and “Datawites” will warmly welcome you. Click here to PLAN YOUR VISIT and discover the Dataw difference for yourself.
All owners on Dataw Island enjoy a “social level” Club Membership, and sports packages are available for the avid sports player.
Membership to the Dataw Island Club and the Dataw Island Owners Association includes:
- Outdoor Resort-Style Pool
- Community Center with:
- Fitness Facility, Indoor Pool, Dance/Yoga Studio
- Art Room, Card Room, Meeting Room, and Locker Rooms with Showers
- Clubhouse with Multiple Dining Options, Special Events
- Discount on Meeting Facilities Rentals
- Golf and Tennis Practice Facilities
- Community Gardens
- Community Docks
- Free Library
- 24-hour Manned Security Gate; Concierge-Style Security Staff; Home Security.
- Access to:
- Member Clubs and Organizations
- Services such as Spa Treatments, Trainers, Fitness Classes and more
Sports memberships are available a la carte and range from a “rounds package” to unlimited. Sports options include golf, tennis, croquet, and bocce. Send me more information about Dataw Island!
- Savannah International, 1 hour
- Charleston Airport, 1.5 hours
- Private airports in Beaufort, Ridgeland and Hilton Head